Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Eavesdropping at the pool

Soooo....It's been extremely hot and humid the past week in WNY. Sammi and David called yesterday to see if they could come swim in our pool today because they were going to be so hot. I sat in the shade while they played in the pool.


David: "Uh Grandma? The neighbor's grass is short. How come ours is still long?"

David: "I'm goin in the deep end." {Me thinking: What is he talking about? We don't have a deep end.} "Look what I can do! Wanna see another trick?"

Sammi: "I can swim like a sea lion - watch!" {She demonstrates and then explains to me the difference between a seal and a sea lion.}
David: "Why do seals say "R"?"
Sammi: "They aren't really saying it. It's just a note."

Once the bath toys go in the pool they are in their own little world, narrating and acting out stories with the toys.

Sammi: "Here comes the sea monster! Can you get a closeup of him and maybe cut my hand out of the picture?"


David: "I wanna be a giant sea monster too..........aaaannnndddd...pretend he can't see his other friends and he is way over here (jumps out and pretends to be sad next to the blueberries) ..........aaaaannnnnnnddddd....."
Sammi: "David let's go back to just being seals. And I don't wanna talk in this."
David: "Then I'm not talking either!!!{Continues to talk and explain everything he is doing, like doing a play-by-play.}

Sammi: "Grandma, are you pretending you're at the zoo?"
Me: "Yep and I'm pretending I'm writing a story for the newpaper about kids in the pool."
Sammi: "Oh cool!"

Sammi(to David): "How about 5 more minutes?"
David: "What's 5 minutes?"
Sammi: "It's a short time."

David: "Watch! I'm a motor boat! {blowing bubbles in the water}"

Sammi: "Hey, David has little freckles on his cheeks and on his nose!"
David: "You do too Sammi!"

David: "Watch me blow bubbles in the deep end!" (sticks face in the water)
Sammi: {Cracking up} David there are bubbles coming from your bathing suit {laughs hysterically}. I'm having a great time with you, buddy!"

David: "Now a shark face is gonna pop up!"


David: AAAAHHHH {big sigh}! This feels just like our driveway. I'm having a great time!
Sammi: {sighs} Yeah, me too!

2 comments:

  1. That was really funny. Laughing through the whole thing and still have a Huge huge smile on my face. Loooooved it! Kids are sooooo fun, aren't they. Wish I could just record everything my kids say. Thanks for sharing your cutie grandbabies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEST BLOG POST EVER!!!! lol!!! Yeah.....they are so entertaining and play so great together. We'll enjoy that while it lasts ;)

    ReplyDelete