
Not a day goes by that I don't think about my dad. I was born on my father's birthday and we had a very special relationship. His love for me was unconditional and nothing I could do ever changed that. Dad was an only child and wanted a big family. So my parents had five of us!
Dad loved classical music! When Mom would leave the house, he would put a record on so loud that you'd swear the orchestra was in the room with us. Then he'd stand on the footstool and conduct. Dad took me to some concerts (Mom hated classical music) and I enjoyed alot of the music but I loved spending the time with him!
I remember going to my first Bills' game with Dad at the old Rockpile, War Memorial Stadium. Our seats were in the nosebleed section at the top but I didn't care. The Bills played the Oakland Raiders and former Buffalo Bill Darryl Lamonica was the quarterback. The day was magical for me and my dad got such a kick out of my being soooooo excited!! The Bills got KILLED and lost 48 - 6. It didn't matter.
Dad was also a huge baseball fan and I got to accompany him to the Buffalo Bisons games where he taught me how to keep score.
I loved to take walks with my dad around the neighborhood. Once arriving home from our walk we discovered fire trucks in front of our house! There was a small fire upstairs in the boys' room!!
My handsome father was my knight in shining armor and had the best smile in the whole world!
Once he retired, on our mutual birthday we used to go out to lunch. Dad would always have a chocolate soda to celebrate! Sometimes we'd go to the Marina or to Tifft Farm but always out to lunch.
In his later years I learned alot about my dad when taking him to doctor's appointments. The waiting didn't seem as long when dad was telling me about growing up in Kaisertown, about his own father (who died before my parents were married), World War II, and a ton of relatives. I used to take alot of notes because they were stories I'd never heard before.
Dad's favorite TV show was M*A*S*H so for his 75th birthday, we threw him a M*A*S*H party! Everyone dressed up in army fatigues or like one of the characters. Our house was turned into the mess tent. John even made a M*A*S*H signpost! Ny nephew Norman got a framed, autographed picture of the whole M*A*S*H cast and gave it to him!!!
Dad loved movies, most especially war movies. I remember laughing with him during "The Carol Burnette Show" watching the tears stream down his face because he was laughing so hard!! He introduced me to "Pride of the Yankees" and "The Glenn Miller Story".
My dad had a very strong faith which I didn't really know about until right before he had open heart surgery. After that, we talked frequently about how we could see God's hand in our lives. It was wonderful being able to share that with him!
While Mom was alive, whenever I'd call the house and he answered the phone he automatically said "Here's your mother." So I got in the habit of calling during the day when Mom was at work so I could actually talk to HIM (I had to be careful NOT to call when M*A*S*H reruns were on, lol). He was always interested in John and the kids and gave very good advice. And he always told me how proud he was of me.
I was fortunate to see him the day before he died. He called and asked if I could come out and drive him to the chiropractor because his back was really bothering him. I can still picture him leaning on the kitchen wall after we got back and he said "I'm always so happy whenever you're here."

That was really great to read. I have been thinking alot about grandpa lately and miss him alot. I wish I had had more time with him before he passed away. He was always the first one to give me a hug when he came over. I used to love his puffy jacket and how he used to smell like pipes.
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy he was able to meet Sammi...your dad really was a great man. And this was so sweet to read :*)
ReplyDeleteThat was beautiful Mary! How wonderful to be so blessed!!
ReplyDelete