Sunday, May 17, 2009

Hospice Walk

Every year, since my mom died in 2000, I participate in the Hospice Walk to raise money for Buffalo Hospice. Today was the walk! It was a beautiful bright and sunny day in downtown Buffalo although a little chilly and windy. Thousands of people gathered at the renovated Erie Canal Harbor for the walk to begin!
Most years my sister Kathy walks with me or brother Mike but this year I walked alone. Almost immediately upon arriving I saw my friend Cathy, a fellow usher at Shea's so I walked with her and her family. We did the 5K (3.1 mile walk) in 45 min. and I raised $180 for Hospice!
Mom was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer in December 1999. Before she died in March 2000, she was under hospice care first at home and eventually in the facility. The two weeks she spent at Hospice were a blessed time. The staff at Hospice cared lovingly, not only for my mom, but for our entire family.

I miss you Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment