While I was growing up, the Annual Corn Roast was a much loved tradition! Dad, Mom and the seven of us kids would pile into the station wagon ("I call the window!") for the long (seeming endless) drive to Barker, New York to Uncle Al's Farm. The farm was a wonderful place! It was the only time we really got to see the relatives from Dad's side of the family. I was in awe of those cousins! My cousin Phil had a go cart that he actually let me drive! I looked up to my older cousins Arlene, Barbara and Sharon who were all SOO pretty and SOOO nice! Uncle Al drove the tractor and took all of us for a hay ride through the fields. The best part was the corn Uncle Al soaked and roasted in the husks on the big grill! Aunt Helen made the most delicious zucchini bread.

We continued going to Uncle Al's farm well into our adult years. The cousins were now married and we'd all started families of our own whom we brought along.
The older generation have all passed on but a new tradition has been started: Michael and Susie now host the Annual Rajczak Corn Roast each August! Mike and Joe cook the corn much like Uncle Al did. The family (and extended family) and friends gather for a day of family, fun and games, horseshoes, swimming, food and a campfire and s'mores after dark.


No comments:
Post a Comment